We caught up with our founder, Rusty Preisendorfer to chat about his take on volume when choosing the right board.
The best surfers in the world might, might feel a half a litre difference in their shortboard. Please give us a little wiggle room on your preferred volume. Anything less than a half a litre…forget it.
The equation for performance shortboards is fairly simple.
- Take your weight in pounds example; 160
- Convert to kilos; divide by 2.2 equals 72.73
- Multiply by .35 Equals 25.45 litres
- The multiple comes from thousands of shortboards for average to advanced surfers.
- A 1 litre difference on a 50 litre board is 2%.
- The average persons body weight fluctuates 6 pounds daily. 175lbs? 3%.
- As the ability level decreases, the multiple increases.
- With age, the multiple increases.
VOLUME ESTIMATION CHART
This volume chart is a loose recommendation. It is not a gospel. So many factors go into calculation. Size; Age; Ability; How often you get to surf; Main goal; Cruise? Have fun? The most important thing is that you trust your shaper. Our boards are hand-shaped in Australia and made to order in 5-6 weeks.